Tap water is littered with a host of chemicals and contaminants, some of which are regulated by the government to be there such as chorine and flouride even though they are proven to be unhealthy. Many studies have linked these chemicals to cancer and other health issues and have determined that drinking unfiltered tap water is not safe, but that filtering your tap water is in many cases a better alternative to bottled water.
The most common drinking water filters used by Americans today are reverse osmosis systems (an extreme solution) and short-term carbon pitcher or faucet filters (a minimal solution). Here we will discuss the pros and cons of each and offer solutions to help you achieve the best filtration possible.
Reverse Osmosis Systems (R/O)
- Removes virtually ALL impurities
- Only needs to be changed about once a year
- Removes ALL alkaline minerals and nutrients
- Renders water acidic, which leads to mineral deficiencies and creates an internal environment which is ideal for illness and disease to thrive
- Cannot be used with a water ionizer without a remineralizer
- Wastes approximately five gallons of water for every gallon produced
- Limited on demand supply – may require a holding tank
- Can grow mold in the tank
- Maintenance can be extensive
BETTER SOLUTION: If installing or utilizing a reverse osmosis system, you should also install a remineralizer, which puts alkaline minerals back into the water after everything is filtered out. The Chanson Super Reverse Osmosis System (no remineralizer needed) is a five stage system which is superior to a traditional three stage R/O system and wastes only two gallons of water per gallon produced.
BEST SOLUTION: Chanson also developed the Nano-Filtration System, which is a modified reverse osmosis system that removes most impurities while keeping the beneficial minerals in (without the need for a remineralizer) and wastes the least amount of water (one gallon per gallon produced). It also provides an unlimited on demand supply and does not require the use of a holding tank, although we offer optional tanks in order to speed up your water ionizer flow.
Short-Term Carbon Pitcher and Faucet Filters (like those sold by Brita® and PUR®)
- Cheap in the short-term
- Convenient – can be picked up at local stores
- Easy to change
- Does not waste any water
- Does not even remotely begin to address all chemicals and contaminants found in tap water
- While they cover up the smell and taste of chlorine, they don’t actually remove the chlorine itself which causes distress on the body
- Needs to be changed frequently, and costs can add up to be more in the long run than investing in a more permanent system
BETTER SOLUTION: The Chanson C3 Prefilter addresses many, many more toxins, chemicals, and pollutants and the filters only need to be changed annually. If installed under the faucet, the drinking water is dispensed directly from the tap (no need for extra pieces to be added to the faucet or to have anything taking up space in your refrigerator). For well users, we recommend the Chanson Triple Ultra Filter which boasts the same properties as the C3 plus antibacterial protection.
BEST SOLUTION: The Chanson Nano-Filtration System is the ultimate drinking water filtration system that will remove the most contaminants while keeping adequate levels of beneficial alkaline minerals in. You get what you pay for, and the Nano is worth it!
Visit us at www.chansonwater.com for more information.
Brita® is a registered trademark of The Chlorox Company. PUR® is a registered trademark of Procter & Gamble.